Pre Depature- Get To Know Me!

Lilah M.

My summer abroad experience is approaching closer and closer as each day goes on! I have more to be excited about as I have become one of CIEE’s Featured Bloggers and will be writing about my journey studying abroad in India. I’m Lilah and I’m from a small town in Maine called Dexter. No, not like the TV show. With a population of 2,258 people, the most exciting thing we have are sports and Lake Wassokeag when its not frozen over with a few feet of ice. We also have a Dunkin Donuts, two grocery stores, and a Family Dollar. Other than that, it's pretty mellow. Something that is more interesting than my quiet town, is that I myself have never been out of the country. The last time I was on a plane was when I moved to Maine from Florida when I was two years old, so I haven’t really experienced it. I’m only 2 hours from Canada and haven’t even been there! Because of this, I am feeling a bit nervous as I will be on my plane journeying to a new place, with new people, to experience this once in a lifetime opportunity in only 3 days!

I chose to partake in the program “Empowering Young Girls Through Health Education” in Hyderabad, India. I knew right away that this was the program for me. I totally felt like it fit my interests and passions so perfectly since I am a huge feminist and I really enjoy educating people on their health so they can be as healthy as they can! It has been a dream of mine to visit India since I have practiced the Buddhism religion which originated in India. The culture, the food, the lifestyles all these things really captivate me to the country. Of course, I also love Key Club. Which explains why I chose to do a service and leadership program. On this trip, I’m expecting many great things. I’m looking forward to trying new foods, seeing the beautiful scenery of Hyderabad, meeting my fellow student travelers, and working with the young women of India. I’m expecting to get along with the other women I’m going on this trip with as well and most of us are already in touch through social media. I’m so glad I reached out to them, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable about spending the summer with them in this once in a lifetime experience.

In preparation for my program, I have been doing a massive amount of homework. I will be leaving a week before my school year ends so on-top of all of my study abroad preparation, I have been getting ahead in my school work. I’ve been managing my time quite well so I’m not too worried about all of that.

With this once in a lifetime experience that’s just days away, I’m on a rollercoaster of emotions. I have been somewhat nervous in terms of traveling. In all honesty, I have no idea what I’m doing. Despite this, I am hopeful for a smooth and sturdy travel day. With all the emotions of anxiousness, stress, and nervousness, I am still incredibly excited! I have always wanted to study abroad and to do it in India, one of my most beloved countries on Earth is remarkable to me. When I can cross this experience off of my bucket list, I believe it will be one of the most important things I do in my life. I cannot wait to continue to share my experience studying abroad this summer, especially in blogging, to inspire those who are interested in this particular program in Hyderabad, India or anyone planning on studying abroad in the summer with CIEE in the future!