Playing Footy - Aussie Style

Brittany Sumner

Hi Friends and Family!

We had an amazing day learning all about Aussie football, which I had no idea was so different from American football. They play in an oval shaped field and it is definitely entertaining to watch! Some of the students even went as far to say it's better than American football!

Local coaches met us at the oval and taught everyone the basics of Australian football; that way, we could play an evening game with some of the local high school students. They welcomed us with open arms, even when we weren't sure what was going on. To say we had a good time would be an understatement.

We separated the students into teams that were half American and half Australian students (hopefully to even up the playing field!). I have no idea who actually won the game, but I do know, it's the most fun I've ever had watching sports (sports aren't my cup of tea). Students were diving to the ground to catch the ball, laughing at missed catches, and "attempting" to tackle one another. It was hilarious and endearing.

They were also able to make friends with kids their age and learn about what it's like to be a high school student in western Australia! We ended the night with a BBQ and ate bangers (food similar to hotdogs, but more sausage like, with grilled onions). I remember sitting there eating my banger, looking around, and seeing nothing but smiles as they recapped the nights game. Along with light hearted arguments about who won and laughter over the differences in American and Australian cultures. In moments like those, it's always clear to me, that every high school student needs the opportunity to travel and experience lifestyles different than ours. I can't wait to see what the next two weeks have in store! -Peaches