Planes, Trains & Automobiles to Alicante

Diana

Location: JFK & LAX airport
Siutation: Teary-eyed family members, nervous students, excited Program Leaders 

After bravely leaving family at the entrance of airport security check, the students begin their incredible adventure! Initial awkwardness subsided whent the students realised they were amongst their own - other like-minded young people brave enough to go to another country ALONE! 

Location: Madrid to Alicante
Siutation: Relieved family members, exhausted students, exhausted Program Leaders 
After travelling with the Session 2 through a long and exhausting flight, experiencing the AVE on our way to Alicante and taking a bus to the hotel to finally rest our heads, it is obvious to us PLs that these students came with courage, attentiveness and an eagerness to practise their Spanish. 

Hoping on a plane to another country on one's own and at such a young age is brave. Add in immersing oneself in the language and confronting the fears of speaking the language "well enough," general public speaking , and being able to understand the locals and you begin to see the courage of each of these students. 

Throughtout the entire journey, these young travellers showed such care and support for each other whether it was the experienced travellers assuring the newer travellers of the great decision they made or the stronger traveller helping a tired traveller with their luggage, this group is here for each other! 

Once our feet touched Spanish soil, the PLs switched over to full Spanish. Though the students were disoriented (and hungry) those ready to respond to our questions in Spanish did, those still adjusting to the change listened attentively and asked their (new) friends how to say forgotten words or to clarify their understanding (in Spanish!). There was no need for us PLs to tell them to start speaking Spanish, they instinctively made the switch, at their own pace, with us. 

Location: Alicante (the next day)
Siutation: Relieved family members, energised students, enthusiastic Program Leaders 
Official Day 1 of NO ENGLISH! 
The young travellers were given a thorough orientation of daily life and expectations, and had questions answered. Then one of the best parts of this program occurred -- meeting host families!! Our students proudly impressed their host families by greeting them with the dos besos and left the ULab to begin their immersion into the quotidian life of a Spanaird. 

Mañana - La clase de español!