An Oxford Trip: City History & Literary Inspirations

Yvette Alexandrou

The day trip to Oxford was a whirlwind! We took a tour upon arriving to learn more about the background of the city. The guide covered the fascinating (and at times, gruesome) history of Oxford. We heard about many literary inspirations and resident authors to Oxford. We saw the famous door that inspired C.S. Lewis to write The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It was adorned on either side by fauns and next to the door was the lamppost that is first mentioned in the book. 

Photo for blog post An Oxford Trip: City History & Literary Inspirations

The guide pointed out buildings designed by Christopher Wren. He designed many iconic in Oxford as well as London and other locations in England. His work includes over 50 churches, St. Paul's Cathedral, the monument commemorating the Great Fire of London, Hampton Court Palace, Kensington Palace, and more!

We saw buildings that witnessed some famous events: the writing of Einstein's theory of relativity, the planning of the D-Day landings, and locations where the Harry Potter films were shot. The guide also discussed the rigorous admissions process for Oxford Universities and Cambridge Universities as well as the intense final exams. We visited some local shops, bookstores, and museums. After exploring a covered market we concluded our journey at Wagamama's for dinner. The students enjoyed large bowls of ramen, udon, or soba. Enjoy the lovely dinner compilation below:

​ ​​ ​