Os Golfinhos!

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Haleigh Donovan

Our last week in Portugal is in full swing!This morning, we journeyed to Setúbal, a port city on the south bank of the River Sado known for being a major commercial fishing center, this morning. We began our day at the Mercado do Peixe. There, students were able to interact with local fishermen and ask questions about local marine life and biodiversity. 

After exploring the market, our group ventured into the city center where we had the opportunity to explore the shops and quaint streets. For lunch, we dined at a local restaurant and students had the opportunity to try cuttlefish, a local delicacy (similar to the likes of calamari). 

With full bellies, we boarded the boat and set our into the Sado Estuary to see dolphins! The Sado Estuary is a protected area that is the home to 28 dolphins. As we dolphin watched, Diogo led our group in a friendly competition of dolphin knowledge that we had just learned. The boat then brought us to a beautiful beach where we were able to jump in the water one last time! We finished our day with karaoke on the bus and echoes of “this was the best day ever!”