¡Oh, cúan lejos llegarás! (Oh the places you'll go!)

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Elizabeth Owens

Today is our third school day in Beautiful Buenos Aires.  Students are getting used to their home stays and walking to classes and adjusting quite nicely to city life.  As always, today's agenda was jam packed.  After learning more about Argentinean culture in class, students had so many hands on learning experiences today including going to multiple places in the city . 

Immediately after lunch, our amazing lead instructor Hernán taught students how to make from scratch a typical Argentienean dessert called choco torta (chocolate cake).  Many students learned how to make dulce de leche for the first time, which is the filling for this yuumy cake.  While the cake was soaking up all the yummy flavors in the fridge, students engaged in a friendly competition by participating in a scavenger hunt near the center.  The group that solved the most "retos" (challenges) out of 12 won.  Students learned about important land marks around the CIEE center Some challenges also involved taking pictures of landmarks and interviewing the Buenos Aires loclas to figure out the clues.  Shortly after, students headed out near the center to put their Spanish speaking skills into practice for their community coversations.  Students navigated and perused their ways to various stores to converse with sales people about their products and Argentinan life in general.  

Finally, Students returned to the center hungry and ready for some great food and conversation.  Students ate their savory choco tortas while learning about a tradition called "Yerba mate."  Students learned that mate is more than just a drink consisting of great conversation amongst family, friends, and sometimes strangers.  Simply put, is it an inseparable part of the culture and tradition throughout all of Argentina.  I think it is safe to say that students worked off all the delicious food due to all the walking we did today while seeing some new really cool places and talking to some really nice "Porteños" (citizens of Buenos Aires).  !Hasta luego!