Non Plus Ultra - Cádiz

Catherine Valdez

"Non Plus Ultra" ("Nothing further beyond/greater")  was the personal motto of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain and used to connote Cádiz, the land's end of the Spanish Empire in Europe. The reversal of that phrase is Plus ultra ("Further beyond"), which is now the national motto of Spain, denoting the extensive colonization of new territories in what would later become the Americas. Thus, the importance of this port city was established.

In Cádiz we wandered through the narrow streets of the city, one of the oldest in Europe, from the Plaza de España where we learned of the signing of the Spanish constitution in 1812, to the Tavira Tower, one of the city's watchtowers from the eighteenth century, situated downtown on the highest point of the city. Today it's an addiitonal point of cultural interest because of the "Camera oscura," installed in 1994  from which a 360 degree view of the city can be appreciated in real time. 

Of course, we took some time to enjoy the beautiful beach, along with many Spaniards. The water was refreshing, the sky was blue and the ice cream tasty.