Morocco Book- page 4- Proud #First Successful Week

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Fatina Jalambo

I and the rest of the CIEE staff are proud of how far our students have come in one week. They have gone above and beyond what I could have ever hoped for and I couldn’t be any prouder. From the first day, they started the L&C program till now, they have been a work ethic student, pleasants, and even better citizens. 

I got positive and thoughtful reflections from all of them and I would like to share some of it. 

"Class is actually very fun! It’s something I am interested in so I pay more attention. I feel like everyone is so kind and it’s already starting to feel like home! My experience overwhelmed my expectations! It’s way better than I thought it would be!"  Y.B

"When I first landed in Rabat it still felt unreal that I had left the United States. The airplane ride to Casablanca was very smooth and I think that has to do with how well the Ciee program is. So far, the classes have been very informative and engaging – I’ve been learning how to communicate with Darija and MSA way better than before. My favorite part of the classes is when we go into the community and talk to the locals because it not only helps me improve my communication and builds my confidence in walking up to someone to start a conversation. The experience of being in Rabat and learning the culture and language of the city has been just like I knew it would be, enlightening. M.C

Before coming to the program, I had heard from people who had been to Morocco about the acceptance, hospitality, and care of everyone here; upon arriving, I realized that I had largely underestimated what my teachers and peers had said. Living in New York were talking to strangers makes you extremely creepy, I was not used to this. On the first day, my host family and I went to the beach, and we ran into their grandparents - I stayed back, but they invited me in, and they all hugged me like I was their own family. I felt so happy at that moment, and the culture and care here lived up to my expectations. This morning (6/14), my host mother told me that “ma maison est sa maison; tu peux avoir tout que tu veux - ça me fait plaisir” (my house is your house; you can have all that you want - it’s my pleasure). That is something no one has ever said to me; I have done nothing to deserve this care, but I know that I must do the same for others as it has made me so incredibly comforted!

Comparing this to how my own culture is in New York City, I am a bit sad that I don’t feel comfortable being so open with others and that others will not do that for me. I am 100% sure that when I return to NYC, I will absolutely aim to invite others in and smile more - it made me feel so welcome here, and I really want to be able to recreate that for other people in NYC and encourage them to do the same! Being in high school with many new students coming every year, I think that this fall I will go out of my way to welcome the freshmen and make them feel like my school is their school and second home." S.E

"My first impressions were great. Everything was well organized and the program leaders were very nice." O.H

"Class is actually very fun! It’s something I am interested in so I pay more attention. I feel like everyone is so kind and it’s already starting to feel like home! My experience overwhelmed my expectations! It’s way better than I thought it would be!" K.A

Thank you so much for sharing your precious students with us this summer of 2022!