Making Mohammedia Feel like home

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Kaitlyn Shepard

Good evening from Morocco!! After a full day of travel, (including 3 continents in 24 hours) the first afternoon was spent getting some much needed rest at home with their host families. This morning we were up early and in full swing with the day dedicated to getting to know eachother as well as our new home for the next 3 weeks, Mohammedia. Students received a history and cultural orientation led by our program Director Madiha. Students had the opportunity to get a better understanding of parts of the culture they have experienced their first night with their host families. Lunch and fresh squeezed juice (my favorite) for the dessert gave the students a chance to get out and explore the area near the American Langauage Center, which is where we will spend a good portion of our days. The afternoon was spent in small groups taking a logistical tour of the city led by Moroccan students. After walking around for about an hour and half, the students realized just how small their new home was and where the best coffee spot, grocery store, shawarma shop etc are located. Tomorrow we fully dive in, with the start of our service project as well as language classes, there won’t be a dull moment...stay tuned!