Magical Marrakesh

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Kamera Bracey

This weekend our students travelled to Marrakesh and Ourika Valley, which is located in the Atlas Mountains. Marrakesh is known for its busy city center and amazing Moroccan artistry. Instead of a traditional guided tour, students were broken up into groups and took part in a scavenger hunt to explore the cities old Medina. They had to answer questions and participate in activities while getting to know the city.

The second day of the excursion, we traveled to an Amazigh (native Moroccan) village, where students went for a hike and got a chance to reflect on the similarities and differences between their host community Mohammedia, and Marrakesh/Ourika Valley. Students were amazed by the Atlas Mountains and community surrounding it.

On our  way back from the village, we stopped at a women ran Aargan oil co-op. Here students got to learn the ins and outs of how Aargan oil is produced. Soaps, herbs, beauty products, fragrances, cooking products and oils are just some of the things students got to explore.

Fun Fact: Morocco is the home of Aargan oil.