London: Pre-departure Thoughts/ Get to Know Me

Theatre Arts on London’s Stage

Kaylin M.

I’m currently looking off to the side where my bags have been packed for nearly a week-sans the items I use everyday. I just can’t help but brim with excitement for what the next 24 hours brings. My sister’s hamster, who is rapidly running around in her hamster ball, is not far off from my own excited and energetic state for the next 24 hours. I’m going to London!

I’ve been preparing for this summer abroad at a level of preparedness that is surprising for me. I’ve said goodbye to my sassy fur babies (Tika and Ash, they’re cats and that’s why they are also extremely sassy), visited my grandma to say my farewells, created the ultimate travel playlists, downloaded the ebooks I plan to read on this trip, I even practiced carrying my suitcases up and down four flights of stairs to ensure I can carry everything on my own.

So now that you know my level of preparedness for my summer abroad to London, it’s only fair that you know more about me. Hello, I’m Kaylin and I’m about to enter my senior year of high school-a little scary, I know. I’m from the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico, and I absolutely adore cats. When I am not reading or typing away at my laptop, you can find me knitting (or crocheting), quilting, baking, playing the piano, or trying to find a new hobby.

The program I am attending this magnificent summer is the Theater Arts Behind the Scenes. I first found out about CIEE from one of my favorite teachers. She knew that I always love to make the most of my summer and studying abroad sure tops the list. As I was further investigating CIEE and scrolling through the website, “Theater Arts” is what first struck me. I wanted to learn something new and something that I had a high interest in. It may just be part of New Mexico where I am from, but you sure do not hear a lot about theater (besides going to the movies). Another thing that intrigued me was the actual location itself… LONDON! Before applying I had no idea that London was the Theater Capital of The World (what a better way to learn about theater than the world capital itself? Just saying!)

With that, I can’t wait to see what this program holds for me. I’m looking forward to the interactive classes, the afternoon excursions, the new people I will meet, and the rest of the experiences and memories to be had. I’ve been rereading the pre-departure course material and memorizing my entire flight itinerary. I can’t stress the level of preparedness I’m at for tomorrow and the days following this summer abroad! Now, off I go on this exciting adventure.