Let's go to Marrekech!

French Language & Culture

Ami Hauser

This weekend our group headed to Marrekech for our weekend excrsion!  We arrived in the afternoon on Friday and had lunch on the roof top of a restaurant and students tried Tangia which is lamb cooked in a special spices over low heat.  It is one of the specialities of Marrekech and Morroccans say no other Tangia from other parts of Morocco can compare! 

Saturday, our students had a guided tour of the Bahia Palace a famous 19th century palace, the famous Jmaa El-Fna square where crowds gather aournd storytellers, food stalls are bustling, and snake charmers are working their magic.   We ended the tour walking through the winding streets of the medina where merchants are selling anything you can imagine from jewelry, to lamps to  beautiful hand made rugs and leather goods. 

Saturday evening we had another fantastic group dinner on a rooftop restaurant with a beautiful view of Marrekech at sunset with traditional live music!  Students had the chance to reflect upon the culture, people, and architecture of the city and how it compares to the others cities of Morocco they have experienced so far.  The students had a great time in the red city of Marrekech!  Everyone is ready to go back again!