Le Parlement, symbole de la Bretagne

Honors French Language & Culture

Emily Thomas

Photo for blog post Le Parlement, symbole de la Bretagne

Today students had the opportunity to visit the Parlement de Bretagne, the main heritage site of Rennes and historical symbol of Bretagne.  Students learned about the French judicial system as the Parlement de Bretagne is the court of appeals for the region.

As they toured the building they learned about the history surrounding the building, which dates back to 1615.  They learned that there is symbolism in every aspect of the building, from the stones used to build it representing different levels of society to the letter N representing Napoleon.  A large portion of the building was destroyed by fire in 1994 and students could see small, charred remnants which are left to future generations as a reminder of the event. 

Students are learning about different aspects of Rennais and French culture and asked thoughtful questions about the artwork in the building and the symbolism surrounding it.

We ended the tour with a debrief in which students compared what they learned with what they know about the American judicial system as well as making connections to what they are learning in class.