Le Marais, s'il vous plaît!

Jennifer Baldwin

The Marais is a historic district in Paris that spreads over the 3rd and 4th arrondissements.  This district is known for being one of the more upscale and trendy areas in Paris.  Our CIEE students went on a walking tour of Le Marais and were able to enjoy several notable locations including the Rue des Rosiers and the Place des Vosges, which is where one can visit the home of Victor Hugo.  Le Marais is also known in Paris for being a center for the LGBTQ+ community.  One will find Pride flags and rainbow crosswalks in this area, encouraging everyone to come as they are.  The district is also one of the largest hosts of the Jewish community in Paris.  A number of restaurants serve kosher food, and you can also find l'As du Falafel, known for having some of the best falafel that the world has to offer!

Although it was hot, the students continued walking enthousiastically to take in more of the sights and great vibes that Le Marais has to offer.  We were even lucky enough to stumble upon a Pelligrino promo cart and everyone enjoyed the free refreshments!