Language Immersion on a High School Summer Abroad in Mallorca

In July, high school student Alexander E., 17, spent four weeks practicing his Spanish language skills in Palma de Mallorca—the capital city of the Balearic Islands in Spain.

As he began his immersive journey into Spanish and Mallorquin culture, CIEE Global Navigator U.S.-based team member Kristin W. got a chance to chat with him. 

He shared details about the start of his Spanish Language & Culture program and advice for students interested in a high school summer abroad.

CIEE: I know it’s only been your second day, but can you tell me how you’re liking it so far?

Alexander E.: It’s very good! I’m enjoying it so much. Even though yesterday was kind of the first day and we had a lot of instruction, I feel like it's very helpful to review everything. Before coming here, we had a virtual presentation. But that was so long ago that it was helpful to see everything again and get a refresh on all the rules while on program.

I like how we did intervention training today. I’m a Boy Scout. So I have done a few of these types of programs. But not everybody gets that. Introducing the ideas to the general crowd is good because not everybody has that same basic understanding of how a program like this works.

Students on a high school summer abroad in palma

CIEE: Are you liking the program’s language immersion component? 

Alexander E.: Yeah, I’m just starting to pick up on a few phrases that are commonly used and putting things together. Even starting to think in Spanish! 

CIEE: Tell me a little bit more about your homestay. What's the family like? 

Alexander E.: They're all very, very nice. They don't know any English. They only know a few words, so it's mostly all Spanish. And most of it is up to me and [the other Global Navigator participants sharing rooms in the homestay] to collectively figure it out. I ask them questions about something they said in a different way so we can understand it better. I use other phrases that mean a similar thing and find a more basic way of saying it.

CIEE: Cool. So like using a lot of different tools to sort of piece things together and make these connection?

Alexander E.: Yes, I feel like using those tools, I kind of get a better idea of the language. I’m thinking in the language and thinking through all those tools to try to figure out what I want to try to say or what my host family is trying to say. 

CIEE: How are you feeling about the food? What did your host family make for dinner last night?  

Alexander: I really like the food. Last night it was paella, but instead of rice they used pasta. I forgot the name of the dish, but it's paella with pasta instead of rice.  

(Alexander E. is referring to a typical Spanish dish called fideuá. It comes from Valencia, but it’s popular in Mallorca and other parts of Spain too.)

a typical dish in the Mediterranean

CIEE: Sounds delicious!

Alexander: Yeah. It’s really good. I like to try new foods. It's one of my favorite things. I went to Belize last year and I tried so many different things and it was also delicious. 

CIEE: What conversations have you had with your host family?

Alexander: I mean, I talk with them during the downtime. I talk with them about different topics. Yesterday we were talking about the running of the bulls and the election that's going and all the corruption that happens.  

CIEE: You're getting a little bit of the local flavor politically and socially.

Alexander: Yeah. Even though I didn't understand fully what they were saying, like word for word, I’m understanding the main idea, the emotional context.  

high school students explored the city of Palma de Mallorca

CIEE: What advice would you give to somebody who is thinking about doing this program? What’s something you’d have wanted to know? 

Alexander: I feel like it's like kind of different for every person because I have traveled to many places before. Every month, I go camping with the Boy Scouts and stuff like that. I'm used to going out on my own. I went alone for a week with the Scouts on a camping trip. 

CIEE: So you feel pretty experienced?  

Alexander: Yeah. I feel like, well, with some people they might get worried about being alone. It doesn't bother me as much because I’m sort of used to it and I’m enjoying being by myself.  

I’d say that it's not like going for 10 mile hikes every single day, up a mountain. This program is more relaxing than the other experiences that I’ve had. So it's not that it's easy, but it's more so that I have a better understanding of it.

CIEE: So you're saying that you're past experiences have led you to more easily adjust to a new experience like this?

Alexander: Yes. 

CIEE: So, the adjustment period doesn't feel so difficult for you. Just to draw that out a little bit, what advice would you have for someone who’s brand new to traveling?  

Alexander: I would tell them to be prepared. Like maybe go on some camping trips a few weeks before, even if it's just going to the local woods. I feel like it would be good for someone to do something like that just to see how they’d do on their own [without their families] and just with a few friends. I’d help someone get an idea of independence, in a sense. 

CIEE: Just one last question: Is there anything you’re really looking forward to in the next couple weeks?  

Alexander: The camping trip and the hike. I’m excited for both of those. And I know that we're visiting a bunch of beaches, and I love the ocean. I teach skimboarding at the ocean during the summer, so the beach is one of my favorite places!

camping trip in palma de mallorca

On CIEE Global Navigator Language & Culture programs, participants get to experience a variety of cultural activities and excursions to get to know their host location from the inside out.

In Palma, participants get to visit the Sierra Tramuntana mountain range and get to camp out in the Bahía de Pollença!