La vie en famille - Guest blogger (Clara N.)

Honors French Language & Culture

Jeff Pageau

Today we hightlight one of our summer students, Clara, who share's her experiences with living with her French host family.  Merci, Clara!

Photo for blog post La vie en famille - Guest blogger (Clara N.)

As the first week of the program comes to an end, I would like to reflect on one of my favorite parts of the program: the homestay! Through living with my host family I feel as though I am learning more about the French language and culture every day than I would in weeks of French courses in the United States. Conversing with my family has been pushing me into an area slightly out of my comfort zone but to the point where I feel I am learning the most.

Every day we eat breakfast and dinner together as a family where we discuss our days and arrange plans for the next. The conversations are always light-hearted and joking. Occasionally my host parents and sister will explain aspects of French culture to me and my roommate. For Bastille Day, my family explained the significance of the national holiday in France and then took me to the fireworks to experience the strong sense of national pride firsthand. 

Sometimes my host family teaches me in other ways. Several nights ago we competed in an intense game of Scrabble (in French, of course) and my host parents explained all the words that I didn’t know to me. We also watch the news and a popular French comedy/gameshow to test how much I can comprehend. 

Furthermore, I am spoiled every day with delicious meals that my host family makes! Usually, for breakfast, we will have fruit, yogurt, toast, or cereal and dinner will consist of several courses of fruits and vegetables, main dishes, and desserts. 

My host family has been welcoming and accommodating, making my experience here so far exceptional! In the picture, I am on the far left, my host mother is next to me, my roommate is in the middle, next is my host sister with her dog named Rixi, and my host mother’s boyfriend is on the far right.

I can’t wait to spend more time with my host family in the following weeks!