La Maison De La Violette

Bridgette Claery

This blog has been written by PL Christine, I'm just uploading it on her behalf. :)

Bonjour tout le monde!

We had a chance to go to the typical Toulouse's barge «la maison de la violette» (the violet's house), to learn more about this little purple flower, symbol of Toulouse. 
Introduced to France in the mid-19th century by Napoleon, the violets became famous throughout Europe by the beginning of the 20th century.They lost their popularity after a harsh winter in 1956, but made a comeback in 1985 after becoming officially protected by the national horticulturists association. They are cultivated from November to March and must be given special care as they can suffer from different plant diseases. Violets are edible flowers that can be used in a variety of medicinal and culinary ways.

Students enjoyed tasting several products made from violets. Some favorites were dark chocolate, candies, biscuits, mustard, herbal tea, honey and jam. Afterwards, we browsed the lovely little shop where students picked up souvenirs to take home to family and friends, and perhaps a little something for themselves. They ended up, sitting on the top of the barge, enjoying the sweet view on a sunny afternoon!

- Christine