La Glanerie: Le “Upcycling” à Toulouse

Alicia González

Week 3 brought CIEE Toulouse students to a remarkable place called La Glanerie. “Glaner” means “to gather, to glean, to learn.” One can’t imagine a better name for this recycling, upcycling, second-hand store and organization whose mission it is to collect, value, and sell pre-used, pre-loved items while sensitizing and educating the public about the importance of donating rather than throwing away household and personal items. At the other end, with their store, La Glanerie encourages people to purchase recycled and upcycled items – all for the good of the environment.

Entrée à La Glanerie

The second half of La Glanerie’s mission is to offer employment opportunitiestraining and professional development for persons returning to work. The many volunteers and employees of La Glanerie work tirelessly as they sort through bags and boxes of donated items, while others employ a bit of elbow grease to clean and/or repair items, while still others use a good dose of creativity and imagination – all to give these hidden gems a second life or to create a brand new one from a combination of items.

“Sa mission est d’agir pour l’environnement et l’humain, en associant réduction des déchets et retour à l’emploi.”

“Its mission is to take action for the environment and for humans, combining the reduction of waste with a return to employment.”

On kiffe le upcycling!

CIEE students were separated into two smaller groups, both taken under the wing of a Glanerie staffer. While one group learned how to make a small pouch from recycled banner material and buttons, the other group took an informational tour of the building that took them from Point A to Point Z of the organization’s recycling / upcycling system. Beginning at the back of the building, where trucks unload donated items that are then sorted and distributed by employees, students visited all of the different rooms for cleaning and repair,

Le Upcycling

rooms with piles of electronics, household appliances, dishes and silverware, art and decorative items, clothing, bicycles, toys, games and books. 

A favorite part was seeing how employees combine incomplete sets of Legos or Playmobil play pieces into whole new villages and scenarios! Even old Scrabble games have missing letters ready to be replaced.

Our visit to La Glanerie ended at an enormous incredibly well-organized second-hand store featuring a treasure trove that students were quick to dive into. From clothes, to tiny casserole dishes, to books, many students braved a long queue to pay for their items, happy with their purchases while at the end of the day contributing to a worthy cause.

La Licorne de la Glanerie