À la découverte de Toulouse (Discovering Toulouse)

French Language & Culture

Deborah Rosen

Last week on Monday afternoon, the students split up into four different groups to explore different aspects of Toulouse:  

1) the trees and parks of Toulouse: Mathilde, a CIEE Program Coordinator, took her group to two different parks in Toulouse and explained how to identify different types of trees that are in the parks.

2) the colors of Toulouse:  Juie, another CIEE Program Coordinator, led students through the streets of Toulouse and discussed the colors associated with the city: rose (pink), violette (purple), and pastel (an indigo color).  She had hoped that the students would be able to taste a particular local cake at one of the pâtisseries (pastry shops), but, as it was a Monday, two of the shops were closed, and two others had already run out of the cakes by the time the CIEE group got there.  C'est dommage!  (That's ashame!).  However, Julie treated the group to macarons, a delicious must-have treat when in France.  (By the way, if you want to know where all the good pastry shops; ice cream shops; and chocolate shops are in  Toulouse, Julie is your expert!  You will not be disappointed!  Julie also has a wealth of knowledge about the history of Toulouse.)

3) literature and cinema in Toulouse - Becca took students on a walking tour to explore some of the librairies (book shops) and then to a cinéma where they took in a movie in the climatisation (air conditioning).

4) vintage shopping in Toulosue - I accompanied students on a walking tour to some of the nearby vintage shops. Several of the students had already discovered some of the shops on their own.  Once again, as it was a Monday, several of the shops were closed. A few of the students made some great finds and purchases.