Jeu de piste

Stephanie Humphrey

Yesterday, the students enjoyed a day off to celebrate le 14 juillet, July 14.  This holiday, also known as Bastille Day, is the national holiday that commemorates the storming of the Bastille in Paris on July 14, 1789.  In Toulouse, there were several free concerts that took place in different neighborhoods all over the city and 4 identical fireworks shows to celebrate.

Today, the students participated in a jeu de piste.  The students divided up into small groups, then set off on a scavenger hunt to discover more about the culture and monuments in Toulouse, while practicing their French skills.  Each group explored a different neighborhood of Toulouse and had to answer a series of questions by asking local Toulousains for help in French or searching the area for the answers to the questions.  The first 3 groups that returned to the Institut catholique with the most correct answers won a prize!  At the conclusion of the scavenger hunt, everyone enjoyed a snack of chocolatines, also known as pains au chocolat in other parts of France.  After a few days exploring Toulouse and using public transportation, students are becoming much more comfortable in their new environement!