It Takes Two to Tango

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Elizabeth Grear

It’s no wonder people from all over the world flock to Buenos Aires to study tango. After all, tango was born in the city’s immigrant neighborhoods and has evolved over time into the dance it is today. Argentina continues to be the place that avid tango dancers come to from around the world to improve their tango and build upon their skills. The quality of instruction in Buenos Aires should be fully taken advantage of while visiting this passionate South American capital. But with so many options where do you start?

Well, on Wednesday night the CIEE program participants took their first steps at La Viruta, one of the most famous dance halls in Buenos Aires. They took a large group lesson taught by two local instructors. They learned the basic steps for both the leader and the follower, and at the end of the lesson they were taught some tango poses for photos. Everyone swtiched partners throughout the class and danced with many different classmates.

After class, students enjoyed pizza and icecream while watching some of the local dancers tango across the dance floor. On the way home students stopped to take pictures of the full moon. It was certainly a very Buenos Aires night!