Impressions of Marrakech

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Nina Wineburgh

We spent this past weekend in Marrakech,  a large city located just over 3 hours by bus south of Mohammedia.

Despite organized activities such as the day trip to Ourika (check out our previous blog post for photos and details!), a guided walking tour, a visit to Bahia Palace, and some delicious meals, students shared afterwards that  the highlight of the weekend was learning how to bargain in the souk surrounding the famed Jma el Fna square. They tried to breakdown the stereotype of the American tourist by throwing in a few words of Darija, standing firm on their desired price, and walking away, if necessary. They came away with leather bags and sandals, scarves, argan oil, and souvenirs for friends, family, and themselves!

Students shared their one word impressions of Marrakech below:

”Tourist trap” - Faaris

“Very busy” - Sienna

“Colorful” - Giselle

“Lots of shopping and fun, but 3 days was enough” - Anyanna

“Overwhelming and different than I was expecting” - Danielle

“Crowded” - Rachel

“Diverse people” - Kamiah

“Unique!” - Rileigh

Ultimately, students were ready and excited to return to Mohammedia on Sunday afternoon. Whereas they felt like tourists in Marrakech, Mohammedia feels like a welcoming home where they interact with locals, know their way around the neighborhoods, and can practice their growing Darija vocabulary. 

Marrakech is the Moroccan city most frequented by international tourists. Though Marrakech was “fun” and “exciting,” students expressed gratitude for this program providing an opportunity to see other cities and break through the touristy facade to get to know people, places and traditions that are more reflective of daily life here in Morocco.