I'll Never Forget

Spanish Language & Culture

Dedipta B.

So far, in Barcelona, I've gone to many excursions and they've all been really fun. Frankly speaking, everyday in Barcelona has been a new type of excursion for me because everyday is like a new adventure, but if I had to choose then my favorite trip would be to Costa Brava. Costa Brava is just in simple words, BEAUTIFUL! There's seashells everywhere, a quiet peaceful breeze, and taking a walk in the beach makes you feel special somehow. It makes you feel different from before and it's a feeling hard to describe. Like suddenly realizing that you're in a foreign country, miles away from home, but you're ok. You're happy watching this sunset and eating some gelato while playing with friends. Furthermore, Costa Brava holds some really special memories for me as this was the place I first learned how to swim. I don't know what came over me, but at that time I just knew I wanted to take this risk and in the end it paid off. I learned how to swim and made this unforgettable friendship with Ari, the employee who jumped after me and taught me how to swim. The whole time I was scared, but she held me hand and kept on telling me; no necesitas preocupada. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to forget this and I'm happy I'll always have this memory of Costa Brava and a friend I made there. Something I'll never want to forget. 

A top competitor to Costa Brava would be Sagrada Familia. It is so beautiful that the word beautiful is not enough to describe it. The light filtering through the stained glass. The history seeping out of every corner of the church. At one point, I got teary, not because it was that beautiful - but it was gorgeous fyi - but because it just amazed me how much people did just for the creation of this building. There's been fires. Strikes. Wars. The plans Antoni Gaudí left behind have been burned and lost, but the people of Barcelona are still trying to save his creation. Whether it be by tours, ticket sales, or generous donations they try with all their might and when I was sitting there at Sagrada Familia all I could think was Barcelona’s not lucky to have Gaudí. Gaudí is lucky to have Barcelona and it's people who won't let him die even after so many years. Sagrada Familia is expected to be finished by 2026 marking the century anniversary of Gaudí’s death and the people at Sagrada Familia are trying their best to meet this deadline. I can't wait to see how their hard work pays off and now I'm definitely excited for 2026 because no matter what I'm coming back. So even though I have one week left here, don't worry Barcelona I'll come back soon. Someday. Soon.