Iguazú Falls!

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Ellie Haizlett

This past weekend students boarded a plane for Iguazú Falls, the long anticipated excursion of the summer. On Day One of the trip, students met our tour guide Juan, who accompanied us during our whole trip to Iguazú. Upon arriving, students toured the Güiráoga nature reserve and learned about rescued species endemic to the province of Misiones, Argentina. Toucans and pumas were a few of the highlights. Later, some brave students took a dip in the chilly pool before being treated to an asado with lots of meats and side dishes.

Day Two started bright and early with a train ride to "La Garganta del Diablo", perhaps the most impressive spot of the falls. Our park guide, Manuel, lead us to many viewpoints and pointed out a wild caimán (small alligator) and coatíes. Students enjoyed a buffet and gelato in the park before heading back to the hotel, which also hosted a butterfly and orchid garden, and a myriad of animals such as snakes and fish. 

Finally, on Day Three, students visited la Mina de la Wanda, where they explored a cave full of amethyst. Once again, students enjoyed a traditional asado and dishes typical of the Misiones province. Our last stop on the tour included the intersection of Paraguay, Brazil, and Argentina. Although we didn't cross the boarders, we were close enough to hear a band playing music in Brazil. Students headed home sleepy but happy to have had such a memorable experience at what some consider to be one of the 7 natural wonders of the world!