History and Sweets of Mallorca!

Spanish Language & Culture

Ryan Lopez

On Tuesday and Wednesday the students split up into two groups for our cultural activities. One group went to the main cathedral in Palma and the other went to one of the most historic restaurants on the island, then the next day they two groups switched activites. 

Believe or not, Mallorca is home to the creation of what was the ancestor for modern day ice cream. It was created by the first owner of Can Joan de S'aigo, a restaurant in the center of Palma that was founded in the 18th century. Later, he went on to make and sell hot chocolate and ensaimadas, a traditional Majorcan pastry, in his restaurant. These three deserts went on to become a staple in Mallorcan culture, which led to the restaurant to become a permanent establishment on the island for almost three centuries. 

Our students had the opportunity to meet with local teens during our cultural activities. About 7 Spaniards came along with each group to intergrate with our kids and give a background to the history of Can Joan de S'aigo. Once every got settled in, everyone started off with some ensaimadas. We ordered both chocolate ensaimadas and creamed ensaimadas. Then after everyone was done with the pastry, everyone also got an ice cream. This all occured over the span of about an hour and a half, giving our students the opportunity to converse and expand their langauge skills in Spanish. Luckily, we will see the local teens again in our other cultural activities planned for the rest of our stay.