Helping a Local Community Through “The Dune Project”

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Brittany Sumner

"​Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

​- The Lorax

Earlier this week we had one of the most impactful days we've had since starting the trip. It was one of those days where you go home completely drained, dirty, and tired, but oh so happy and proud. Proud, of the work accomplished and the lives changed. Proud, to be a part of a project that is fighting for a more sustainable world and better future. Proud, to meet such beautiful people and to support a project as inspiring as The Dune Project.

A Local women sitting on her front stoop!

We started our day by heading to Cova Do Vapor, a small village along the coast, where the ocean is both the residents' livelihood and their home. It is one of those places where you immediately feel welcome. It was far away from the tourist traps and the hustle and bustle of Lisbon. As we walked up the main street of the town we saw kids playing futbol in the street with their dog, locals having breakfast on their porch, and women hanging up laundry in their yards. Everyone was all smiles, because how could you not be when in such a beautiful place!

Patricia, our resident biologist, has been working with the local community and The Dune Project to restore the sand dunes and protect the village. In Cova do Vapor the end of the main street runs straight into the banks of the dunes, and because of this, sand is constantly pouring into the town and the local shops. The local community, biologists, and volunteers have been working hard to restore the dune ecosystem so the village is protected and the community can thrive sustainably.

In the morning time we conducted surveys of the dunes to see which ones were most affected by development and human impacts. We collected invaluable data, to present to the community, to help them in the future as they continue to protect and restore the dunes.

Michelle, Cassidy, and Camryn collecting data.

After a long morning of field research we headed to the balcony of a local bed and breakfast. We could smell the delicious food before we could see it. We rounded the last few stairs and I couldn't believe the feast waiting for us. There was fish being grilled, fresh lemon juice being squeezed, bread, fresh off the brai, homemade hummus, and endless types of salads! I looked around and saw eyes bulging out of everyone's head. They couldn't wait to dig in. In Portuguese culture, meals are a slow process; no rushing, just good conversation and the food comes in stages. This was fine for us, after a long morning in the sun. It ended up being the best meal we've had since arriving in Portugal! Years down the road, when I'm looking back on the trip, and thinking of the food, that will be the meal I always come back to.

Burt, Fletcher, Mason, Henry, Alex and Ahmad

With our bellies full and our hearts happy we headed downstairs to meet Amalia, one of the lead staff for the local Dune Project. It was time to get back to work. We helped paint signs, advocating environmental protection, to put around the dunes, and painted poles to fence off the developing dunes. The signs were all in different languages, because no matter where you are in the world, or what language you speak, the ocean affects you. It felt so rewarding to help with a project where you could clearly see the results of your hard work. It's awesome to help with something that is going to have lasting impacts and really help the community grow.

Ahmad, Kenzie, and Kenna working on painting the sticks for the fence
Zoey, Olivia, Ahmad, and Maya installing the painted sticks!

Yesterday we asked students what was the most impactful thing they had experienced on the trip so far, most of them said that this day was it. Here is some of the things they said about helping restore and protect the dunes:

“The Dune Project was the most impactful because it felt good to know we were directly helping a community and it looked really pretty when we were done :)”

“The most impactful thing we have done so far, is going and trying to help restore the dunes. It was cool to see how other countries and areas try to restore their dunes. The food was also really good!”

“The Dune Project was the most impactful because we were able to do work that helped support a community that would impact them forever.”

“I feel like the sand dunes were the most impactful thing we did because not only did I see the effects of the dune destruction first-hand, but I also directly did something about it and felt accomplished in doing so.”

“At the halfway point of the trip, I have learned quite a bit and have had a lot of fun. I found the activity where we put up sticks to protect the dunes to be the most impactful because it really gave an opportunity to protect what needs to be protected. We learned why the dunes needed protection and we took a step to help with that protection”

​"I speak for the trees, I speak for the trees because they have no tongues"

​- The Lorax