Happily Surprised

Spanish Language & Culture

Kate Fonken

"How do we greet our host family?" This seemed to be one of the biggest concerns...and rightfully so. Culture shock can be found in something as simple as a "hello."  All of the kids had questions, but this one was something we could easily practice. Greetins in Spain are with "dos besos," meaning two kisses. The students giggled and nerviously practiced the greeting in class during orientation. Students were worried that they would say something wrong, not understand, or worse...not know words they really needed to know (just in case you were wondering too: desatascador = plunger)! The nervousness was tangible. Then the host families arrived! They all waited patiently outside chatting with each other eagerly awaiting for a glimpse of the wonderful student that would be staying with them for a month. In reality, I am not sure who was more anxious! In the end, the greetings were successful and the room filled with joyful laughter as each group met and left to go home. The journey has begun!