Guided Visit to the Evita Museum

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Elizabeth Grear

Many people have heard of the famous Argentinian first lady Eva Peron. Her image has made appearances on Broadway, and even in the Simpsons. What many do not know is how her work as first lady touched Argentine society to the extent that her legacy still impacts social programs today. Her face was even selected to be on the new 100 peso bill in 2014. She is also somewhat of a controversial personality within Argentina, having many fans as well as critics.

On Wednesday students were taken on a guided tour of the Evita Museum to learn more about why Eva Peron was so important and who she really was. Students were taken through rooms showcasing her fabulous dress wardrobe, consisting of many Dior gowns. Photos were not permitted in any room that displayed a dress because the museum works hard to preserve the quality of the gowns tries to protect them from any aging due to photography.

Students also viewed orginal footage of political manifestations that took place in the 1940s rallying on behalf of the Perons. They learned about her humble beginnings and the impressive evolution of Evita's social projects such as the Evita Foundation and her fight for women's right to vote in Argentina. After our visit, students took away with them the knowledge of who Evita was and how her work benefitted the poor and marginalized people in Argentine society. After our tour, students visited the gift shop and bought souvenirs to remember the excursion and remember Evita.