Guided Tour of the Palacio Barolo

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Elizabeth Grear

On Friday afternoon the students wrapped up a busy week of classes and activities with an excursion to the famous Palacio Barolo.

The Palacio Barolo (or Barolo Palace in English) is the tallest non-modern building in the city. At the time it was built it was the tallest building in Latin America. The desisgner of the building, Mario Palanti, incorported the following styles into the design of the building: eclecticism, Gothic architecture, and Art Nouveau Architecture. The building is also meant to be a replication of Dante's Inferno from the Divine Comedy written by Dante Alighieri, each floor represents a level of Dante's Inferno, including a purgatory floor in the middle of the building and the paradise floor being the top floor with the outstanding view of the city.

The students were amazed by the views and enjoyed a lemonade with ginger and mint while overlooking the city (with en excellent view the national congress building). It was a great way to wrap up the week and see the city from another point of view.