Getting connected

Spanish Language & Culture

Kate Fonken

Learning a language is not just about words and grammar; it's about living in the language. I had the opportunity to study abroad when I was 19 and it took me about 2 months to finally feel connected and comfortable enough to actually learn. This group of amazing students jumped right in without fear, without reservation and with the goals of self improvement not only with the language and culture, but truely making connections with others. 

Photo for blog post Getting connected

One of the best ways to connect is through a meal. Students have explored amazing markets such as Mercardo Olivar (pictured above), finding out the best places to purchase delicious ingredients.

Photo for blog post Getting connected

On another cultural activity half of the group went to Can Joan de S'Aigo to enjoy the best ensaimada de Mallorca (a pastry that can never be big enough) on the island (pictured above - Yamila, Paola, Jehan, Macey, Chris, and Elsa); while the other half learned how to cook Tumbet (an amazing dish of veggies), calamar (students learned how to clean the squid and take out the ink pouch!), and gambas (prawns - and how to properly suck the juices out of the head)! I have never seen so many kids wanting to dive right into cooking the way this group did! Elliot surprised me as he looked so at ease in the kitchen; not only cooking, but teaching and showing others what to do. Don't get me wrong...our head chef, Alan, was great...how lucky to have two chefs! 

Elliot the chef

Holidays always bring family and friends together no matter where you are in the world. We were so lucky to be here in Palma during a holiday. The host families all wanted to share this amazing experience of Correfoc and Day of Sant Joan with their little ones. Correfoc is Catalan for "fire runs". We went to the child version which was much tamer I am sure, but what an experience to see little ones dressed as demons throwing "fire" at those brave enough to take them on! At the end of their "run" a large fire was lit. This is when a free concert started with a wonderful band playing the Ball de Bot! The dance we just learned!! Denisse and Gabriel jumped into the dance without hesitation. You can watch their video here. 

The homestays is the biggest key to truely feel connected. We just had our midpoint check in (I can't believe we are already in the 3rd week!!! The students don't like it when we remind them of that!) and all of them said that living with a family is a marvelous experience!. At the Correfoc I had the pleasure to meet with a few of the host parents. "I'm Parker's dad". I was startled at first because I was thinking to myself, why would he be here?, then I realized, "host dad". Our host families are so proud and honored to have this experience they take it on fully. "One morning I said "good morning" to Parker, he responded "buenos días", and I knew this would be great!" Parker shared with me his take on living with a host family (he of course stayed in Spanish, so this is not a word for word translation).

To live with a host family is so much more than learning a language. It’s learning how to share, to live independently and with others, to create great connections that go below the surface. To learn what is really important  to the community and the points of view from the family's perspective. It is a complete reversal of traditional education and teaches you what is really important, think critically about current events and how to solve them...all in Spanish. - Parker

Photo for blog post Getting connected

"He is such a wonderful young man," exclaimed Lola, Jacobs host mom. Jacob shared with me that at first it was extremely terrifying, but it's not just staying with someone. They are very welcoming and open like a family you have been with for years. Besides being in Spain, only speaking Spanish, and missing 2% milk...it feels like home. Living with the host family absolutly helps with learning Spanish because I (Jacob)can only speak Spanish with them

Sara also shared with me a picture of her host family (below) and said they are amazing! She is loving this experience because they are so supportive, welcoming and kind.

Food, cultural activities, and family...these kids are completely getting connected and I couldn't be prouder!!

Photo for blog post Getting connected