Fully Italian!

Italian Language & Culture

Milo Spotti

Written by Program Leader Francesca Russo

In the last few days we visited Gianicolo (the Janiculum Hill), a magical green place from which you have a wonderful view of Rome. We had a walk before dinner and took lots of photos. Another magical place is Giardino degli Aranci (Orange Garden), where there’s a keyhole from which you can see the dome of St. Peter's. And then, Via del Corso is the street that runs through the city and leads to the most important squares.

Photo for blog post Fully Italian!

Rome is an incredible city! It has within it a whole universe of history, cultures, places to visit, atmospheres and moods. What is amazing is that you could turn the corner and suddenly find yourself 2,000 years back in time: that's what happens in front of the Pantheon, for example. The most important part of this experience is the realization that we are connected to the history of the “Sampietrini” (this is the name of the typical stones that cover the streets downtown) that we walk on. To walk the streets and alleys is not only to visit a museum-city, but also to become part of its history, to become a citizen of the world.

Photo for blog post Fully Italian!

Not less important: the cooking class! Cooking is also an art for us in italy. You are not fully Italian until you’ve learned how to make real Neapolitan pizza: each one has created a true masterpiece! The pizza must have a "cornicione" that is, a nice, high, tasty crust! In addition, the tomato sauce must be abundant and covered with mozzarella cheese. Italian tip: If all the tomato sauce is not covered with mozzarella cheese, it will result in scorched dough bubbles.

Photo for blog post Fully Italian!

Third week started and we are now fully embedded in Italian Culture, because we had the chance to experience its main ingredients: art, food and fun!