Focusing on the simplicity of life in Toulouse

Helena L.

Toulouse really has become a home for me.  This week I realized exactly how thankful I am to be here, and to be able to experience all the little things that make up my day.  I’m thankful for the homemade fig jam I eat on my toast in the mornings, and the yellow metro I take to school.  I’m thankful for the picnics I’ve had in Jardin des Plants, and the mini Catalan sandwiches from the café down the street.  I’m thankful for my host family for their patience, generosity, and amazing cooking.  I’m thankful for my host sister’s little baby who is always giggling and making me smile, and for the friends I’ve made who do the same.  

My routine here is very busy with classes and homework but also spending time with friends and my host family.  Every day I wake up earlier then the rest of my host family to catch the bus and then the metro to school.  I spend the morning in class, learning French in the classroom as well as out on the street.  After class I have lunch at one of the many amazing cafes or restaurants within blocks of the school, or go to the local market, Marché des Carmes, to get fresh food for a picnic.  In the afternoon we go on excursions like a dance workshop (something I was a little skeptical about but it ended up being super fun), or going to see a movie.  My favorite part of the day however is the evening.  Sometimes I go out with friends and explore Toulouse, or hang out at someone’s pool (a lot of people have pools here and that is definitely something I am not used to).  Other times I help with dinner or go out with my host family.  The other day was la fête de la musique, a huge celebration with music throughout the city that’s celebrated on the summer solstice, and I went with my host family and their neighbors.  It was so nice to listen to music and talk with my host mom and her friend about everything.  It felt like the whole city was there, celebrating together.  Hanging out with my host family is fun but I’m always so tired so I end up going to bed and doing it all over again.

I love being this busy, but I am trying to focus on the little things like the cat next door and the fresh apricots from the market. I don’t want to miss anything, not when it’s all so simple and beautiful.