The First Week Is in the Books!

Ryan Lopez

What a week! 

We have overcome some big changes during our first week here in Palma. The biggest change for us is that we are now fully immersed in the Spanish (and Majorcan) language and culture. At first, it can be a tall task to change your mindset from and English speaker's mode into a Spanish speaker's mode, but all of our students have stepped up and were ready to tackle the challenge this week. The end of this first week proved that they have made great strides and feel a lot more comfortable in the Spanish mode. This was evident in one of our Into-The-Community activities, where our students went to a typical Spanish-styled restaurant and ordered food in Spanish. The kids did a great job interacting with the waiter, and all enjoyed the food that they ordered! 

Another challenge that we face here is the heat. Spain is known to have very warm weather in the summer, and Mallorca is no exception to that. In order to combat the heat, we went as a group to the "Playa de Palma", which is the main beach area within the city limits. The kids swam in the Mediterranean and played volleyball on the beach. 

We have only just begun, and we cannot wait to see what the rest of the month has in store for us!