First Time Speaking The Language

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Hajar EL Yaaqoubi

Today, the students began their first language class. They learned to introduce themselves, ask questions and get to know the locals. After two hours of class, the students were ready to show off their new language skills to the locals. At first, the task seemed overwhelming to our students. After a few attempts, they owned the street. The community conversations taught them about Moroccan culture and people, and gave them a chance to practice everyday Darija expressions. 

After a long morning of speaking Darija, it was time for lunch. The students walked around the neighborhood and picked a place to eat. Going for lunch alone paved the way for more freedom and interaction with people. In the afternoon, we headed to a delightful eucalyptus forest called the Ibn Sina Park where our students had a language competition. The winners will have their choice of ice cream or another treat. The day ended with a walk back to the center to meet their families and head home. 

Tomorrow, our students will dig deeper into the language. They will have plenty of learning, conversations and activities to do.