Finding ourselves in Sevilla

Stacie Allen

The first week is full of finding our way. A new city, new surroundings, new spaces to eat and sleep, finding new routines. There is so much to take in and our students are managing it all wonderfully! Walking, taking the metro, or the train, or the bus to classes, back home, to our activity meeting point...now it's clear that they are truly Global Navigators. We have already, in just a few days, had so many experiences meeting new people: local residents, fellow students, and teachers.

Jumping right in with an activity in the neighborhood, my Level 1 group was tasked with going into a store to ask questions about where to find things and how much they cost. Even our students who are just starting their language journey met the challenge with their perseverance and willingness to engage with others in Spanish. For anyone who has learned (or tried to learn) a new language, we understand the sense of "knowing how much we don't know" when getting started in those first interactions in the target language. 

Our students' relflection journals have shown the many aspects of their experiences this week: questions about culture and language, discoveries of similarities and differences, sharing how this trip so far has met, and exceeded, their expectations. We all look forward to learning more and becoming even better global citizens.