Featherdale Wildlife and Blue Mountains

Australian Wildlife Conservation From Land to Sea

Laurie Perrin

For our last weekend in Australia we got to spend a weekend in Katoomba and the Blue Mountains! On the way there we stopped at Featherdale Wildlife where our students had the opportunity to get up close and personal with many notable Australian creatures. There were fenced-in areas where animals such as kangaroos and wallabies could wander around and visitors were free to pet and feed them. All the students were provided with a cup of food when they entered that they could use to feed various animals. The animals were very friendly and posed for many a photoshoot. Students were also able to pet and take pictures with a koala! Depending who was on duty some students met Byron the koala while others posed with Lawson.

The next day we visited the gorgeous Blue Mountains National Park. We were led on a beautiful hike by our beloved tour guide Damien. Students took in the amazing views and luscious greenery while Damien told us about various plants, rock formations, and history of the area. It was a bit chilly but fortunately everyone bundled up and also warmed up throughout the hike. We were lucky with clear, sunny weather which allowed for astonishing views of the massive Blue Mountains. Luckily students were not too tired after the hike for some free time at Scenic World, where they had even more opportunities to see the Blue Mountains via cable car, train ride, and the scenic skyway.