Farm Days Are Over

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Libby Thompson

In our last few days at the farm, we learned about species of the land, water and sea. 

Right here on the farm, we studied a few amphibian species that inhabit our sustainable pool. We learned about the frogs from expert visitors who talked us through identifying the look and sound of various frog species. 

Photo for blog post Farm Days Are Over

Thursday morning, we cleaned up the beach and recorded our findings. We even made art out of the trash we found! Students were astonished by the amount of q-tips, styrofoam, and bottle caps we collected. Partnering with Portuguese youth in our beach cleanup made the whole experience more fun!

Photo for blog post Farm Days Are Over

Friday was full of surfing! In the morning we learned about surfing and oceanography, and in the afternoon we got back on the waves and then toured a factory where surfboards are made.

Photo for blog post Farm Days Are Over

Today we went to a coastal lagoon for birdwatching and spotted species like short-toed eagles and ospreys. 

Photo for blog post Farm Days Are Over

This afternoon, we studied the local dunes and spent relaxing time on the beach. 

Photo for blog post Farm Days Are Over

To wrap up our week at the farm, we make homemade pizzas in the farm's pizza oven. Packing up to leave is bittersweet, but as participant Eli put it, "I like packing. It means I get to go somewhere new." 

Photo for blog post Farm Days Are Over

XOXO 

Jing and Libby