Farewell, our Friends!

Janeen Bost

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”. This is a quote I’ve seen various times throughout my life. It’s one that can fit for many unique situations. Our trip to Chile was became one of those situations. With students from different walks of life, different experiences and different understandings of the world, everyone had to learn to get out of their comfort zone. We befriended people different than us, became part of a family with distinct traditions and ways of life and maybe even contrasting values. Our activities may have been out of our comfort zone, too. Biking, walking up cerros, taking public transportation, creating artwork… whatever it was, we did it and lived it and here our life began. We learned to live, learn and enjoy. Through our reflective journals and conversations with others, we grew.

On Wednesday, we met with several students and staff at Liceo Maria Luisa Bomball once again, but this time to say goodbye. Staff from both CIEE and the Liceo (school) worked hard to make sure we had a great time. Chilean food was prepared and served as appetizers as well as non-alcoholic “Terremotos”, a typical drink of Chile. Songs were played from both Chilean and American pop cultures and dances were shared among the students. American students taught their Chilean friends how to dance to songs such as the “Cha Cha Slide” and the Chileans taught us some more Zumba and dances to Spanish songs! They even surprised us with a performance of Cueca, the traditional dance of Chile. Students received medals for their hard work and participation and a few students were awarded with special prizes.

Most Use of Spanish - Avery

Chilenazo Bacan - Kayd

Future Program Leader - Josefina

“Biggest Leap” - Level 1 - Trenton, Level 2 - Tanna, Level 3 - Max

We are so proud of all of our students and how much they have grown over the past four weeks. It has been an incredible journey and we were so glad to be a part of it!

“There’s never an end to a trip, but rather a different destination.

In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take.

The trip may be over but the mission never ends.”

As the trip culminates and we head our separate ways, our journey really just begun. The friendships that have been made, the cultural connections and understandings that grew and our experiences will always be intertwined with our lives, further fulfilling our mission of living as open-minded, understanding, compassionate and loving young adults. We took a chance, spent four weeks away from our families and friends at home, but in the end, we gained more than souvenirs.

Farewell to our new friends. This is not goodbye, but rather a see you later.

“Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” - Michael Palin