Family Life in Rennes

Honors French Language & Culture

Sophie Cowley

While participating in the HSSA program, students live in a Host family (on their own or with friends) to experience life as a French person. According to their points of interests they are placed with a family that matches their personality as close as possible to allow a positive experience.

at the park

There are so many things to see and do in Rennes and the surroundings that the students often spent their weekends on outings such as the planetarium, the park, the countryside and many other wonderful places. 

At the lake

Here are a few comments from students about their experience with a host family:

"I love my family! It is a lot more different than I imagined but I am getting used to the French food and walking around in town and using the public transportation.(Asher L.)

"I still make a lot of errors but my host family is very patient with me and I am making a lot of progress. (Lucia S.)

"I didn't know what to expect at my host family's house but I love it! (Katie F.)

"In my host family the meals are long but I like that we spent the time talking to each other and learn about our day." (Michael G.)

At CIEE we stand behind the research that spending an entire month immersed in the culture, life and language is the best way to support language fluency.