Falling in Love with Iguazú Falls

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Kendra Fisher

The highlight of our trip to the Misiones Province undoubtedly our visit to Iguazú National Park on Saturday. The falls are deemed one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. Upon entering the park, students were again happy to spend some time surrounded by greenery and had fun observing the coatíes (a racoon-like animal, but much cuter). We took a train ride up to view La Garganta Del Diablo (The Devil's Throat) which is an impressive view from the top of the falls. As mist from the falls swirled around them, students posed for pictures and took in the awe-inspiring views of the falls. 

After La Garganta, we enjoyed a buffet-style lunch and regained energy to explore more of the park. We walked along the trail called Parte Superior to see an impressive panoramic view of the falls. All along the way we were greeted by beautiful butterflies as well as some coatíes. The last trail on our route was the Parte Inferior, the trail that provides a panoramic view of the falls from a lower point. This portion ends in an outlook that allowed students to get so close to the falls that it was impossible not to get wet--many were prepared with raincoats! 

We ended the day at El Hito, the point of the three borders. From this Argentine landmark students were able to look across the river to see Brazil on one side and Paraguay on the other. We enjoyed the sunset as students talked to the friendly locals and possibly picked out a souvenir or two. Many commented that the trip to Iguazú was their favorite part of the program. ¡Nos encantaron las cataratas!