Exploring the Home of the Airbus

This is an exciting first week for our future engineers. On Wednesday, we had aviation classes in the morning, then we got ready for an afternoon full of history. But let's hear about it from Ethan Lazar, our young participant from Philadelphia: 

"Today we went to L’Envol des Pionniers. We were given a guided tour of the grounds, which used to be the site of the Latécoère company, and then explored the museum independently. The museum told the story of  Pierre Georges Latécoère and how he brought the aerospace industry to Toulouse through his dream of delivering mail by plane. The museum also featured a plane that was used to fly the mail and other exhibits about the people who worked on the mail delivery and the future of aviation. Overall this was a great way to better understand why Toulouse is the home to many aviation greats and the history of aviation in France."

Aviation classes resumed on Wednesday morning, preparing us for a visit to the incredible Jolimont Observatory, where very experienced guides took us on an incredible journey of the history of space observation. The passion of our guides about their trade was incredibly contagious. Our young participants had plenty of questions and a lot of time to interact with the different devices. This was, personally, one of my favorite visits. 

There was no better way to celebrate Bastille Day in France than with a pastry workshop! Friday, early in the morning, we were warmly welcomed by the pastry chefs at Lobo & Gato. There, we enjoyed learning the art of French baking together. Our participants were able to make royales, fraisiers and macarons. The best part was that we were all able to enjoy the fruits of our labor! 

Bastille Day, or Fête Nationale, is a great opportunity to celebrate French history and culture alongside the people of France. We were incredibly happy to be in Toulouse for this holiday. It was rewarding to witness our young participants' excitement during the fireworks. This was certainly a moment to be remembered.