Excursion to Dinan and Mont St. Michel

Honors French Language & Culture

Kristin Montgomery

On Saturday we avoided most of the rain and ventured north to explore the town of Dinan and then see Mont Saint-Michel.  Dinan is a small, picturesque town that is surounded by walls and towers.  

Photo for blog post Excursion to Dinan and Mont St. Michel

Participants had free time to explore, shop, and walk down to the beautiful port.  Unfortunately, walking down meant they had to walk back up again!  We definitely got our steps in today.  Many navigators made sure to make a stop for ice cream after their picnic.  Dinan was a magical little town!

Next we drove to Mont Saint-Michel.  Mont Saint-Michel is an iconic island with a towering abby.  Getting there is an adventure because you have to take a bus or a horse-drawn carriage (we went with the bus).  Stepping off the bus we had an amazing view in front of us! 

We started our winding climb up to the abby on the top.  There is only one route to take, and the only way to go is up!

Once there, we explored the abby with audio guides.  People still come to the abby for religious reasons and as religious pilgrims.

Many of our Global Navigators are budding photographers, and this was the location of a lifetime for snapping photos! 

As we were leaving we were able to see the tide start coming in and Mont Saint-Michel becoming more of an island.  We had just enough time to pose for one last group picture: