On est parti à Lille!

Catherine Bellanca

This weekend the session 2 language & culture students hopped on a bus north to the charming city of Lille. Not far from the Belgian border, Lille boasts beautiful architecture with many red brick buildings that are very different from the Parisian architecture our students have grown used to. There was time for an impromptu volley ball game before a guided tour of the city where students learned about Lille’s rich history as the birthplace of Charles de Gaulle along with information about the famous waffles and french fries (shhh, they’re actually Belgian!) as well as the Flemish culture that makes Lille such an interesting destination.

The afternoon was filled with a trip to the fine arts museum which is second only to the Louvre in terms of its collection of important paintings. Students explored the museum and used their French language skills to invent stories about the paintings they were viewing. There was even time for a quick break to assemble puzzles in the middle of the museum and a soccer match in front of the grand opera house before dinner.

Sunday morning began with a visit to the Wazemmes market where many clothes, accessories, vegetables and sweets were on display. Students were tasked with exploring the market before returning with photos of their discoveries.

A grand time was had by all!