End of Program Project Presentations & Celebrations

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Nina Wineburgh
As a culminating project, students were tasked with presenting their experience in Morocco. The project guidelines were loose: use whatever medium you choose to illustrate what you learned here in Morocco and how you will take those lessons home with you to the United States and your local community. Students shared their projects on Thursday, and then we celebrated the end of the program with a big couscous lunch, live music and dancing, and henna!

Here is Anyanna's take on the day of project presentations and the farewell party (written on Thursday):

Today we presented our projects that summed up a lot of what we learned. Some examples included: songs, videos, photo powerpoints, poems, and magazines. All of the projects really went into how this trip has affected us students and how we can bring back our experience and knowledge to the States. 

Afterwards we changed into traditional clothing and danced around. It felt so natural and just a true happy moment. At first all of us were definitely nervous we would mess up the dance but in the end we all were dancing wildly not giving a care in the world. 

After dancing we sat down to have a delicious meal. We had a huge salad and a cous cous made with caramelized onions. It was so delicious and all of us were stuffed to the brim. I had to take a 10 minute power nap because I was so full!! We concluded the events today with henna. 

My roommate and I headed back home and sat down with our mother telling her about how our day went like usual and laughing at tea time. We played around and laughed with our brothers and sister and I expressed my sadness that tomorrow is my last day with them. I really feel like this was only the start of an amazing family life and I hope to stay in contact with them. 

Our mother took us to the Kasbah (an open market were you can get many things) to bargain for some last minute items. I got a traditional prayer rug with the Kaaba on it and plan to hang it on my wall so when anyone asks about it I can tell them about my experiences in Morocco and what learning about Islam meant to me. Oh and me and Anushka (my roomie) got some really cute dresses too :)