Degemar Mat!

Honors French Language & Culture

Caroline Hocutt

Degemar mat! Bienvenue!  Welcome!

Whether you say it in breton, french, or english, the sentiment is the same. And, after such a long journey to get here, the students feel welcomed, indeed. 

After meeting for the first time at the airport, the students wasted no time getting to know each other and got right to socializing and forming friendships. After New York, we were on to Paris- and after having our first taste of french culture in the parisian airport, we continued on to Rennes where the host families eagerly awaited their guests! The students were nervous to meet their french families at first, but the promise of a hot shower and warm bed after such a long journey won out and they were ultimately quite happy to be whisked away to their individual homes.

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

The next morning brought with it a little bit of rain and a lot of excitement as the students settled in to orientation. They met their teachers and learned some more of the logistics of the program, and Program Leaders shared some best practices for staying safe and having fun in Rennes. Then came the scariest part- signing the language pledge! Students pledged to speak in French as much as possible, to everyone on the program, including each other. After all of that, the students were ready for lunch- and the Program Leaders were so impressed with how they took the pledge seriously, and did their best to communicate in French on the metro and at their tables!! We saw on day 1 that our students are going to grow so much over the next four weeks, because they have the courage to try, the sense to know that mistakes are a natural part of learning, and the drive to resist giving up. And, through their new friendships, they have the support of one another. 

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

After orientation began the first real day of classes! Students practiced in class and refined their speaking skills, then it was out into the real world for their first real test- ordering lunch on their own from a restaurant for a group picnic in the Parc du Thabor! Program Leaders helped to model how to order and what to say, and then took the students to the historic Place St Anne to let them have at it by themselves! Although the students were a little nervous to order on their own, they all rose to the challenge and we had a lovely picnic and passed a leisurely lunch hour in the park - a nice moment of zen after such a bustling last couple of days. 

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

After lunch came our first activity in the city- which was getting to know it better! Students took a tour of the historic district where Program Leaders pointed out not just the historic sites, but also where the best places to get food or go shopping were! Students used their french to discuss their observations and ask questions, and at the end of the tour they had some free time to revisit any places that had especially piqued their interest. A star of the tour, les maisons à colombages (half-timbered houses), are unique to this region of France and a treasure of the city (so expect to see quite a few of them over the course of this blog!)! 

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

Photo for blog post Degemar Mat!

In all, the students have had a successful first few days in Rennes, and are looking forward to discovering what it is about this city that makes it so uniquely special. There are places to go, foods to be tried, friends to make, and knowledge to be had, and our students are eager to experience it all. 

So, Degemar mat et Bienvenue!  Welcome! It is going to be a wonderful trip!