A Day in the Life of a CIEE STUDENT- By Desmond Conn

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Kamera Bracey

How can I put in words, the beyond believable, breathtaking, magical, daily experience of a CIEE Student. Every morning I am greeted by the soft sound of the Adhan (call to prayer), the warm smell of fresh pastries, and the excitement to start another day as a foreign exchange student. It’s now time to head for school. A classmate and I hail a taxi, trying to find one that easily understands our broken, yet improving arabic. As we drive swiftly though the city, we are intoxicated by the busyness and chaos of our temporary home. Once we arrive to school we are greeted by the warm-hearted smiles of our incredible CIEE Staff and family. My classes are so full of joy and the visible progression of our language skills. Our teachers care, not only about our growth, but about us as people. As we move towards lunch a pack of us debate what North African fast food restaurant we would like to indulge ourselves in that day. After class I rush home to spend time with my host family. Though the language barrier can be slightly difficult, it pushes me to try my hardest and work to become a better arabic speaker! After finalizing my homework, it’s time to go out with my school friends! Our activities differentiate, whether it’s going to the beach and diving into the Atlantic waves, or bargaining in the souk for a key chain we don’t really want. As the day comes today, I can recognize the invigorating smell of dinner being prepared. The meal is always so tantalizing and oh so filling. As I go to sleep that night, I think about the jubilation I received from such a fulfilling day and excitement to do it all again.