Dancing and Cooking as the Portuguese Do

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Libby Thompson

We've had several visitors at the farm, including an amazing dance instructor and a group of "Grannies of the Sea" teaching us to cook a traditional Portuguese meal. 

Students had a blast on Monday learning a group and partner dance with various steps and upbeat, traditional music. They danced right out of their comfort zones and learned so fast!

dance

Wednesday, an organization visited to help us cook fish stew and rice pudding.

Grannies of the Sea is organized through a day center that sets up activities for people in the area. We learned so much from them and shared a delicious meal! 

cooking

Of course, we've continued to deep-dive into our learning about aquatic ecosystems in the last few days as well. We were fortunate to visit a lab where studies, mainly around climate change, are underway. Scientists there showed us around and explained their work with octopi, dog sharks, cuttlefish and more. 

octopus

We've also continued to take in the beautiful sights in the area, from enjoying a seaside picnic lunch to exploring the beachy town of Cascais.

beach lunch

We can't believe we are already halfway through our time in Portugal, but are excited for the adventures still ahead of us!

XO,

Libby and Jing