Dalkey Castle

Global Entrepreneurship

Joseph Dorion

The time sure does fly when you're having a blast!  As our Global Navigators continue on with their attempt to do and see everything that Dublin has to offer there was one glaring item that remained on all of their bucket lists: find a castle.  Popularized through music, cinema, and photos it would seem as though Ireland had a castle on almost street corner.  With our students now experts on all that downtown Dublin had to offer they were yearning to explore a little bit further and see the countryside.  And the perfect mix presented itself with a visit to Dalkey Castle!

Photo for blog post Dalkey Castle
The Global Navigators get acquainted with Dalkey Castle

The Town of Dalkey is around an hour away from downtown Dublin, with the ride down offering stunning views of the coast as well as of the countryside.  Dalkey is a preserved site that takes pride in the rich cultural history that permeates through the town.  Our Global Navigators were able to explore a bit of the town before embarking on the main attraction: The Living History Tour.  Along the way, they were greeted by actors dressed in the traditional garb of the Middle Ages.  They were able to learn about the day to day life that went on inside of the castle.  A few were even able to try their hand at archery as well as cloth making.  

Photo for blog post Dalkey Castle
Rome learns the basics of castle defense
Photo for blog post Dalkey Castle
Alex demonstrates the proper method to some of his classmates.

The Students spent several hours exploring all the castle had to offer while also maybe fulfilling a couple of childhood fantasies.  Ladden down with plunder consisting of pictures, good memories, and some more souvenirs we boarded the train back to Dublin and bid ado to new friends.  Perhaps some of our Global Navigators discovered a newfound love of history?

Photo for blog post Dalkey Castle
Caitlyn and Jordanne with one of the tour guides in the kitchen
Photo for blog post Dalkey Castle
Students walking along the battlements at Dalkey