In cucina da Rossopomodoro!

Italian Language & Culture

Elba Fantacci

Food in Italy is like art, an expression of our culture. Every region has its own cuisine, even between towns of the same area you can find infinite alternatives of the same piatto. It is also very competitive, since each individual thinks that their own cuisine is the best in the world.

Today our global navigators got to make one of Italian’s favorite dishes: pasta, specifically gnocchi and scialatielli.

The chef, who was from Naples, didn’t speak a lot of English, but found a fun way to communicate with the students and with music he carried them through the process of making first the dough, then cutting the different pastas.

Scialatielli is a fresh pasta traditionally from the region of Campania. They are roughly chopped pieces of dough resembling short tagliatelle.

Gnocchi, which could be translated as a form of potato dumpling, are made with boiled and mashed potatoes, eggs and flour.

Both of the doughs had a similar process and the students really got their hands dirty, each preparing a ball of dough that, almost like magic, became ready to cook pasta.

Afterwards they prepared one of Italy’s most favorite desserts: Tiramisu, a true pick me up!

Then they where able to observe the chefs expertise in preparing within seconds two amazing pasta dishes: gnocchi alla sorrentina and scialatielli with eggplants and tomatoes.

After the hard work the students were able to enjoy the two dishes and the Tiramisu they made themselves. Gnam!