Courage in Toulouse

Maylen Rafuls

I couldn’t ask for a better summer job and I couldn’t be more grateful for the wonderful group of students that has joined us in Toulouse this summer. Each and every single one of these students embodies one of my key life philosophies: for as long as we are alive, we can aspire to improve ourselves; for as long as we are alive, we can lean into discomfort only to come out on the other side as a stronger human being.  This is indeed one of the most courageous group of 44 students I have ever encountered.

In the first few days of the program, I have witnessed incredible courage from our students. First and foremost, I must recognize those who came to study abroad in France with just a little prior exposure to the language.  Reflecting back upon my teenage self, I don’t think I would have had the courage to travel to another country by myself, especially one whose language I didn’t YET speak. That takes incredible courage and I admire the students who took this risk tremendously.

Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
French Teacher Amandine helps Tajhay one on one with describing his host family (Group Garonne).

I have the privilege of working with these young people who are in the early stages of acquiring the French language (we are the Groupe Garonne) and I have seen how they have stepped up and immediately started participating in their French class, which is 100% taught in French by their wonderful instructor, Amandine.  

Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse

Amandine combines the use of video, conversation and lots of interactive activities and projects to ensure the students make huge gains while they are in France, especially in interpersonal speaking skills. Amandine’s warm demeanor and calming nature (she’s a yoga instructor also!) is just what beginning students need in order to lower any nervousness they might have about learning a new language.

After each class session, students have a chance to take what they learned in class and apply it directly in the community with French speakers. This activity is known as OZ le Français, an activity in which students must dare to step out of their comfort zone by initiating conversations with locals in French. The name of the activity is which is a play on words referring not only to the Wizard of OZ but also to the verb oser in French, which means to dare. Much like Dorothy, students will gain more knowledge, heart and will traverse their journey by deploying their courage.

Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse

For each OZ le français activity, students must introduce themselves politely, ask a few questions and then ask permission to take a selfie with the person they spoke to. This activity takes incredible courage, but especially for beginners.  Can you imagine going up to a stranger in France after only a couple of days learning French and asking them questions in French? Can you imagine doing so in your teenage years?

The courage that my group of twelve displayed during their second OZ le français activity was incredible. Every single one of them successfully spoke to employees at Midica (a store with a variety of household and school items) and asked them questions about different products they were interested in. At the end of the activity, they rushed to the main entrance, waving their selfies with the locals, their energy full of pride and relief at their accomplishment. I was waiting for them there, ready to debrief their experience.

Great work and great courage, Valerie!
Great work and great courage, Valerie!

For Valerie, for instance, who has never studied French prior to coming to France, and who essentially completed this activity after only two days’ worth of French lessons, the courage required was monumental. She rose to the challenge and expressed, “This was actually very great because I love communicating with people and even though I don’t know the language, I tried so hard and I was able to do it, which was the best part, and I felt very brave while doing it!”  

Sophie commented that “it was awkward and I did not say the words correctly and that was okay, because she still kind of understood what I meant and it worked!” Finally, Felix added, “It was fun, actually, I’m used to doing things like this back in my hometown, so in a different language I was a little nervous. I did mess up a lot but they understood in the end.” In their reflections, all of the students are understanding that they can communicate and that they do not have to be perfect.  These early experiences of success will embolden them and enable them to make impressive progress with their French this summer!

Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse
Photo for blog post Courage in Toulouse

Not only are these linguistic explorateurs courageous in terms of wanting to improve their language skills and daring to speak to community members to do so, but they are also living with new families they just met at the airport on Sunday, getting used to new family members and dynamics, learning the way to and from school using a variety of transportation methods, actively participating in tours of Toulouse led entirely in French, getting to know a new set of peers, learning about themselves and their reactions to a new environment and a new culture.

They are indeed courageous in many ways and their courage gives me hope for the future.